You can use the gateway to monitor cloud database metrics.
To start monitoring, you need to complete the cloud configuration setup for your cloud environment. This document uses the Azure cloud environment as an example.
- Configure VPN connectivity for the gateway.
- Verify that the database you want to monitor is publicly available.
- You can deploy gateway before or after the cloud integration. If the gateway is deployed before cloud instances are discovered, ensure that the gateway is on the same private network after discovery.
- If the cloud instances to be monitored are on different private networks, deploy multiple gateways.
- Each gateway deployed to monitor the cloud instances must be registered with the cloud.
- Create a cloud database and configure security.
- Make sure you have the permissions required to create monitoring templates.
Create a cloud database
Using Azure as an example:
Log into Azure.
In the left panel, click SQL databases.
Click +Add to create a database.
Enter the following information:
- Resource Group: Select the resource group you want from the drop-down.
- Database name: Enter a unique database name.
- Server: Select a server with sufficient capacity to host the database.
- Compute+storage: Select the compute and storage options.
Click Review + create.
Verify that the newly created database is in the list of MySQL servers.
- From the list of MySQL Database servers, click the name of the database you created.
- In the left panel Settings menu, click Connection security .
- Configure the gateway IP information.
- Click Submit.
The database is now configured with gateway security credentials. This creates the discovery profile.
Assign a gateway profile
Assign a gateway profile to the cloud integration.
- Click All Clients and select a client from the list.
- Navigate to Setup > Integrations > Integrations.
- From Installed Integrations, click Public Cloud and click Azure.
- Click the Integration name.
- From the Configuration tab, navigate to Discovery Profiles and click +Add.
- From the Filter Criteria, select the Filter Criteria Type of Smart Filters.
- Select All resources and click Save.
- (Optional) If you need to discover new resources automatically without manual intervention, configure the Discovery Schedule.
Create and assign database credentials
- Click Infrastructure.
- Select the Resources tab
- Click Microsoft Azure, and select the database that you created.
- In the left panel, click Credentials.
- Click +Add to create new credentials.
- Click +Assign and assign credentials to the required client.
- Verify if the new credentials appear in the credentials list.
Add a database monitor
Navigate to Setup > Monitoring > Monitors.
Click + Add.
Enter the following monitor information:
- Monitor Scope: Select Partner Monitor or Client-Specific Monitor. For a Client-Specific Monitor, also select the client.
- Adaptor Type: Select the monitor type, such as Application.
- Application Type: Select the type of database resource, such as MySQL. Add the initial database name if you are creating an RDS user.
Enter Configuration parameters: (Mandatory) Cloud Resource Configuration.
Add database monitor templates
Templates permit you to save resource monitoring settings.
Navigate to Setup > Monitoring >Templates.
Click + Add.
Enter the following information:
- **Select Template Scope: Select Partner Template or Client Specific Template. For Client-Specific Template, select the Client also.
- **Collector Type: Select the application type that you want to gather the information. For example, Gateway.
- Monitor Type: Select Monitors for G2 Templates.
- Applicable for: Select the type of the application, such as CloudPaas dB.
- Template Name: Provide a template name.
- Description: Enter the template summary.
- Monitors: Select the monitor you created for Cloud database.
Verify that the created monitor is displayed in the available monitors list. Monitor details differ depending on monitor.
Select a client from the All Clients list.
Navigate to Setup > Monitoring > Assign Templates.
Select a client from the drop-down list.
Select one of the following from the drop-down list:
- Assign Templates to Resources
- Assign Templates to Services
Select a collector type from the drop-down list.
Click Show Resource Filters to filter on one of the following categories:
- Resource Groups
- Operating System
Go to the Select Resources section.
From Select Resources, select the devices. The Selected Devices section displays the selected devices.
Go to Select Monitoring Templates and select the resources. The Selected Templates list displays the templates you selected and want to assign.
Navigate to Infrastructure > Resources > Metrics to view database metrics graphs, which are displayed when the gateway starts monitoring the database.