You can create monitors according to your requirements. For example, you can create one monitor to check the performance of your resources and another monitor to check the status and utilization of your resources. You can create metrics, monitors, and templates for the same collector type.
Before creating a monitor, be sure to do the following
- The monitor must have metrics of the same script type.
- Select the custom parameter path depending on the script type.
To create a monitor:
- Go to Setup > Monitoring > Monitors.
MONITORS screen appears.
- From MONITORS, click +Add.
CREATE A MONITOR screen appears. You need to provide basic information about the monitor, add metric, and configuration parameters.
- From CREATE A MONITOR, provide the details for the following parameters and click Save:
- Monitor Scope: Refers to the Partner Monitor or Client Specific Monitor. For Client-Specific Monitor, you need to select the Client also.
- Adaptor Type: Refers to the monitor type.
- Application Type: Refers to the type of resource.
- Name: Provide a unique name for the monitor.
- Description: Refers to the details of the added monitors.
- Metrics: To add metrics, perform the following steps:
- From Metrics, click Add Metrics.
Metrics screen appears.
Note: OpsRamp recommends a maximum of 20 metrics. Adding more number of metrics in a monitor can run into performance issues.
- Search the desired metric and click Add Metrics. Metrics section displays the selected metric.
- After adding the metrics, navigate to Configuration Parameters.
- Configuration Parameters: To add configuration parameters, perform the following steps:
- Provide Default Value for all the configuration parameters.
- Select the Configurable checkbox.
- Click +Add.
Configuration Parameters screen appears.
- Provide Configuration Parameters depending on your environment or devices.
After creating a monitor for a resource, you can add them to a template.
You can perform the following actions after creating a monitor in the MONITORS screen:
- Edit: You can modify the details of a monitor.
- Delete: You can remove a monitor from the MONITORS screen.
NoteYou cannot remove an active monitor. You must first delete the respective template to delete a monitor.
OpsRamp provides various functionalities in Monitors that can provide a smooth hand-holding of the feature.
- You can download and save the monitor details in JSON format on your local machine. Click Export > JSON.
- You can browse and insert a JSON file to import monitor details saved in your local machine.
To import a JSON file:
- From Monitors screen, click Import> JSON.
Please upload the json file using below link screen appears.
- From Select JSON File to upload, click Browseto upload the file.
- Click Import.
You can create a copy of an existing monitor with a different Name and Monitor Scope.
To create a copy:
- Select Setup > Monitoring > Monitors.
MONITORS screen appears.
- From MONITORS screen, select the desired Name.
- Click Create a Copy.
The screen displays a confirmation message.
- Click Yes to continue.
Copy Monitor window appears.
- From Copy Monitor screen, provide details for the following parameters and click Create:
- Monitor Scope
- From Dynamic Metrics, choose the desired metrics.
You can use the search to find a monitor using the monitor Name. For searching multiple monitors sharing the same criteria, use Advanced option.
You can filter your search results using the advanced search. Perform the following steps to search using additional options:
- Click Advanced.
- From ADVANCED SEARCH window, provide details for the following parameters and click Search:
- Scope: You can select one of the following monitors:
- Global Monitors
- Partner Monitors
- Client Monitors
- Service Provider Monitors
- Name: Refers to the monitor name.
- Adapter Type: Refers to the list of available adapters in OpsRamp.
- Description: Refers to the description provided for any configured monitor.
MONITORS page displays the search results.