VMware is a virtualization and cloud computing software that distributes the work of a given virtual server across multiple physical hosts. VMware also enables each physical host to run multiple virtual server instances.
- Creating credentials
- Configuring the integration
- Adding a discovery profile
Step 1: Create a credential
To create credentials:
- Select a client from the All Clients list.
- Go to Setup > Accounts > Clients.
- On the client’s Credentials tab, add the credential information.
- If you use a domain account to access vCenter, specify the domain with the username in the format
- Install VMware Tools in the virtual machines to avoid duplicate resources while discovering IP address and hostname.
- Requires read-only access at vCenter for the discovery and monitoring of resources.
- For ESXi hardware metrics, enable CIM APIs and open port
5989on individual ESXi servers and use the template
VMware ESXi Hardware Statusfor monitoring.
- The user accounts configured for VMware integration must have privileges to access CIM APIs. Configure
CIM Interactionpermissions to access the host hardware metrics. Refer to Host CIM Privileges in the VMware documentation.
- For vCenter appliance monitoring:
- Apply SSH credentials to the vCenter server.
- Users must have the appropriate privilege to execute commands on the vCenter appliance command prompt. For example, the privilege to execute commands such as
help api list.
- Enable default port
Step 2: Configure the integration
- From All Clients, select a client.
- Go to Setup > Integrations > Integrations.
- From Available Integrations, select Compute > VMware and click Install.
- Provide the following:
- IP address
- Credentials. Select an existing credential or create a new credential.
- Click Install.
Step 3: Add a discovery profile
To add a discovery profile:
- From the integration, click Add.
- Provide the following information:
- Profile details
- Profile name
- Host name
- Perform actions: Manage Device.
- Discovery schedule. Based on the settings, discovery is triggered based on the scheduled time. New resources added to the environment are automatically discovered.
- Profile details
- From the Discovery Profiles section and click Scan Now for the profile.
What to do next
After a discovery profile is created, you can do the following:
- View the integration: Go to Infrastructure > Resources.
- Assign monitoring templates to the resource.
- Validate that the resource was successfully added to OpsRamp.