This guide helps you get oriented to the basics of OpsRamp. You will onboard a couple of servers into OpsRamp by following these steps:
- Create a Client.
- Install the OpsRamp Agent on your servers.
- Apply Monitoring Templates to monitor the availability of your servers.
- Your organization has Partner account in OpsRamp, and an access URL like this:
- You have a user account within your organization, with Partner Adminstrator role.
- We recommend that you use two compute instances (or virtual machines) for this exercise. You can use Linux or Windows instances.
Step 1: Log into your account
Go to your access URL:
Step 2: Create a client
- Go to Setup > Account Management > Clients
- Follow the task flow on this page to create a new client. Leave the default settings in each step as is.
Step 3: Install the agent
- Go to Setup > Downloads > Agent.
- Follow instructions on this page to download and install the agent on your servers.
- Validate that the Agent is running on both servers.
The OpsRamp Agent runs as two OS processes - Agent and Agent Shield, a watchdog process for the Agent.
Check that both processes are running:
- On Linux, use this command:
> ps -ef | grep opsramp
- On Windows, use Task Manager.
Step 4: Validate that your servers are onboarded
- Go to Infrastructure > Resources > Server. You should see your servers listed.
NoteThe availability status of your servers shows as Undefined at this point, because availability monitors have not been assigned to your servers.
Step 5: Assign monitors
- Go to Setup > Monitor Management > Assign Templates
- Select your client, then Assign Templates to resources and Cloud for collector type.
- Select your servers under Select Resources.
- Select the OpsRamp Agent Status Template under Select Monitoring Templates.
- Go to Infrastructure > Resources > Server. You should now see the availability status of your servers as Up.
Step 6: Check the dashboard
- Go to Dashboards
- You should the default dashboard for your client, show inventory and availability widgets for your servers.
Step 7: View alerts
- Power off one of your instances.
- Wait for 5 minutes.
- Go to Alerts. You should see an alert with status Critical and subject OpsRamp agent is offline. This indicates that OpsRamp is successfully monitoring the availability of your server.
- Power the instance back on.
- You should see the alert’s stats turn from Critical to OK.
Congratulations! You have just successfully onboarded your first servers.